Sometimes the simple things provide the most pleasure. This is definitely true of this delicious, quick and, most of all, healthy breakfast.
On mornings when I wake up hungrier than normal, I like to indulge in a nice creamy bowl of porridge. But, recently I have decided to cut down on dairy for multiple reasons. I was worried my morning porridge would become mundane and tasteless, but I was wrong… Coconut milk (not the stuff you put in curries, but free-from milk alternative) and raspberries to the rescue!
I love raspberries an inordinate amount and decided they’d taste great cooked into porridge. I wasn’t wrong. They break down and become almost jam-like. Yum. Oh and I did I mention this recipe is vegan friendly, filling and full of goodness? Try it for yourself and see…
- Organic porridge oats
- Any milk alternative – I personally like coconut milk, but you could use soy or nut milks – plus water to cook the oats
- Handful of raspberries per person
- A few tablespoons of chia seeds
- Cinnamon and agave syrup to serve
- Cook your porridge oats as normal, with the coconut milk and water
- Add the raspberries and chia seeds half-way through (when the porridge begins to bubble)
- When it is creamy, turn off the heat and serve into bowls
- Sprinkle cinnamon liberally (it has many health benefits!) and squirt on agave syrup to taste (this is what keeps it vegan) – et voila, quick and delish brekkie!