Brunch is probably my favourite meal-time, and these little courgette hash brown fritters with poached eggs, topped with fried chilli and a crispy piece of Serrano ham did not disappoint.
1 medium courgette
1 medium potato (desiree or something similar)
1 large white onion
1 garlic clove
Salt and pepper
2 medium eggs
white wine vinegar
½ a small chilli
1 slice of Serrano ham (optional)
Note: this makes ample fritters to feed multiple people, serve two eggs and one piece of ham per person.
- Grate courgette and potatoes, put in a colander with a plate and something heavy on top. Leave to drain for about half an hour.
- Finely dice a large white onion, fry gently in a large heavy bottomed pan on a medium heat till translucent.
- Add garlic, salt, pepper and any other flavours you fancy e.g. bouillon powder. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from pan, put in a large glass mixing bowl and allow to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Add the grated courgette and potato, stir with a spoon till combined.
- Form into patties/fritter shapes and place on a baking tray, evenly spaced.
- Cook in the oven at 180 (gas mark 4/5) for about 15-20 minutes, or until the outer edges are crispy and the fritters are golden. Leave on the tray to cool.
- Pour boiling water into a pan with a 1tsp white wine vinegar, swirl the water and pour the egg in. Turn the heat down and poach for about 3 minutes till the white is set. Remove with a slotted spoon and put on kitchen roll to drain.
- Place one egg on each fritter, scatter with fried chilli and serve a piece of ham on the side (this is optional and can be left off for veggie friends!)